Monday, June 11, 2012

Author, Author

...read all about it! 


Welcome everyone to another beautiful Monday.  Today we have a new author with us and I can't wait for you all to learn more about her.   
 Please welcome:


 Charliann Roberts !




Hi Charliann, could you tell us a little about yourself? 

I was born and raised in Minnesota. I’ve lived in Marina Del Rey, and Santa Monica, CA. I now reside in Arizona, in “The Valley of the Sun” with my long-time sweetheart and our “children”, a Sheltie (daddy’s baby) and a Corgi (mommy’s baby).



What or who initially inspired you to become a writer? 

I’ve always loved to read. I have wanted to write for many years but never had the time. (I know, that’s the common excuse.) Three years ago I was laid off of two different jobs because of the economy. That was when I began writing. Writing turned out to be the best job I’ve ever had (especially the part of working the hours you want and when you want).



What kind of research do you do for a novel and how extensive do you get?

Most of my research is online. Every so often, I head to the library. The romantic suspense novel I’m currently working on required many questions, answered by the AJPD (Apache Junction Police Dept.) and I thank them for the time they spent answering each and every one of them in detail.



Do you have a special place you like to do your writing? Such as an office, a spare room, the dining room table, your couch?  

My office – my desk is in front of a window overlooking a beautiful mountain view.



As a reader, what types of works do you like to read and do you think they influence the genre/genres you write in? 

I love contemporary romance and romantic suspense. They definitely influence the genre I write in.



What is your favorite method of writing...as in laptop, desktop, Ipad or the old fashioned pencil and paper??  And do you plot out your story or go with the flow of your muse? 


My first novel, The Sunny Side of the Mountain, began with an outline. My second novel (now in editing) I just typed whatever came to mind. For my third novel, I’ve just completed the outline. I’m finding that having and outline is a bit easier. Once that is down on paper and I know point A to point B, my mind can wander all and anywhere it wants. I’ve also recently found that I write better and faster the “old fashioned” way – on the couch with pencils, lots of erasers, and a thick tablet. Then when I’m ready to type it out, it’s like editing my first draft.  I use my laptop, that way I’m able to take it everywhere I go, whether it’s on vacation, or up to our cabin in the White Mountains.


When you need a break or some time off from the trials of being a writer, what can you be found doing?

We head up to our cabin (of course my writing tags along).  I also love to read, crochet, walk the dogs, (cleaning the house is last on the list).


Is there anything about yourself nobody knows that you would like to share with our readers??

If nobody knows, then no one knows.



For fun, I have a few personal questions,


Your Favorite 5


1) Favorite color - Blue
2) Favorite dessert – Ice cream
3) Favorite Season – In Arizona it’s Winter!
4) Favorite sad song- The theme to Love Story
5) Favorite Romantic movie – It will always be Love Story



And a bonus, what is your ideal romantic vacation??

Anywhere, as long as I’m with my sweetheart.



Where can our readers find you?? 


On Facebook or my website at www.charliann-roberts.com (if you can’t find me I’m hiding up in the mountains somewhere).


 Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?


              The Sunny Side of the Mountain


                       by Charliann Roberts
           
              http://www.charliann-roberts.com





He was her rock, her soul. He was her everything. When he told her they should go their separate ways it hurt so much. Cassandra knew as she watched Sean walk away from her, that she’d never love anyone with the depth and emotion that she loved him. Heartbroken and forlorn she surrendered to deep compulsive sobs.  

 She tucked those feelings away when she thought she had finally found the “perfect” husband. However, soon after the birth of their twins, she began to see another side of Jeff that he’d kept hidden from her.

Surviving a turbulent marriage that almost kills her, Cassandra is finally convinced to file for divorce. She takes the twins and heads up north deep into the woods to a cabin where no one will find them...  but soon she discovers that they are being followed.

Now for sale in paperback and eBook!
 

Excerpt:
            As she walked through the meadow, she enjoyed the sweet scent of flowers. She came to the edge of the grassland and approached the dirt road that led to Nick’s ranch. She felt happy and carefree. Further down the road, she spotted a cluster of beautiful butterflies fluttering around the wildflowers scattered along the edge of the road. When she slowly passed by them, they flew over to her and swirled around her head. She stopped and gazed up at them, her hands placed on each cheek. She held a big smile, and was careful not to frighten them away.


            “You are so beautiful and such distinct little creatures,” she said softly. There aren’t that many butterflies around, these days. It was a rare treat to see so many at one time.


            She noticed a truck approaching from behind, about a mile down the road. It seemed to be moving a bit too fast, gathering clouds of dust, so she found it impossible to perceive whether or not it was Nick’s truck. Assuming it would slow down, she stayed on the edge of the dirt road and kept walking. Suddenly, she glanced over her shoulder. It wasn’t slowing down, it was picking up speed.


Panic welled up in her throat when she realized it was coming straight at her. She gasped in terror and choked back a frightened cry, then spun around frantically. She leaped back into the meadow, and ran as fast as she could. If she could get to the high grass just ahead, she knew that the creek flowed close by and her salvation might lie there.


            It must be Jeff, most likely very intoxicated, as he zigzagged back and forth, acting as though he was playing a game. She tried to run faster when she heard the truck approaching. The wild grass and flowers became thicker and taller, and now reached to the top of her head. She heard the vehicle very close behind. 


            At last, she spotted the creek and knew this was her only means to stay out of sight. When she approached the edge, she lowered to her knees, then thrust herself into the waist deep water and quickly submerged. She held her breath as her shirt billowed out with trapped air until it became waterlogged. With her short height, she was able to stay just below the surface as she moved across the rocky bottom on her hands and knees, grazing them. She followed the strong current, which eased the pain on her kneecaps.


            No longer able to remain underwater, gasping for air, she frantically lifted her head just as the truck plunged into the creek and rolled onto its side.


She shivered, and tried to stay very still while she waited. She stood and watched for any movement. Then Jeff’s head and shoulders appeared through the open window.


            He looked up, saw her, and hatred blazed in his eyes. His glare burned through her as she slowly moved her hand to her waist and felt for her pepper spray. Attached to her belt loop, she loosened it from the pocket of her jeans. Her clothes were soaking wet, but the pepper spray was waterproof. She crept toward the opposite edge of the creek, and stopped to speculate what her best move would be. With difficulty, she struggled over the rocky bottom, and tried to remain calm, but she was beginning to shake as fearful images began to build in her mind.


            When Cassandra risked a glance at him, the color drained from her face. He’d now completely freed himself from his vehicle, and had begun to wade toward her in a limping fashion.


            She turned blindly, and stumbled on the slippery rocks. Frantic now, unable to obtain a secure foothold, she looked behind her. His limp had begun to slow him down. When the tread on her tennis shoe grabbed support on a large rock, she was able to climb the small bank, and then turned to run north, toward Nick’s ranch.


            Suddenly, he grabbed her forearm tightly and spun her around. His eyes darkened dangerously with a beastly, threatening look. While he kept a tight hold on her, she gasped at sight of a knife in his hand. Suddenly, he lost his footing, and she was able to pull away fiercely, and slid her arm from his grip. She instantly stepped back, grabbed her pepper spray, and turned around just as his hands reached out toward her. He had a repulsive look on his face.


            “Back off, Jeffrey,” she said, but he just kept coming at her.



         The Sunny Side of the Mountain is available in eBook and paperback at Amazon.com. If you have a Nook, it’s available at BarnesandNoble.com. You can also purchase any type of eBook at the publisher’s website, Solstice Publishing @ www.solsticepublishing.com. If you’d like to order the paperback directly from me (free shipping), just contact me on Facebook or send an email to charliannaz@hotmail.com for more information.


 
Reviews:
5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming story
From the first sentence it was easy to connect with Cassandra, the heroine in the story. Her emotions came through so effortlessly in her movements and internals and even a person who had no empathy would be hard pressed not to feel for her and her situation.

She's a strong lady who dealt with a rotten marriage to an abusive spouse. Her saving grace was the wonderful relationships she had with her children and a select group of friends and her Aunt Em...another strong female figure in her life who helped raise her.

This story told of Cassandra's hardships, her determination, her victories and did it all with wonderful description and heartfelt emotion. Throughout the story I felt like I was taking the journey with Cassandra, seeing it from her eyes. The ups and downs, good times and bad. Before I knew it, I was at the end.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone about to read it, so I don't want to give anything away except to say this was a very easy read. The story was interesting and flowed smoothly with a nice, pleasant pace.

Congratulations to Charliann Roberts for bringing Cassandra and the other characters to life with vivid detail and description.
5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Read!
By 
Debra L. Blackwell "juliet2cool4u" (Westfield, N.c.) -  
When I read the first two sentences of Ms. Roberts blurb for The Sunny Side of the Mountain, I knew I was going to fall in love with Cassandra's story. "He was her rock, her soul. He was her everything." I don't think I have ever cheered for anyone as much as this endearing brave woman who never gave up on finding a love to call her own. Her life did not start out perfect. She loved Sean with the fierceness that comes with a first time love only to find out it abruptly ended much to soon. Never really understanding her heartache of losing him, she later meets Jeff who misleads her into thinking he was her perfect soul mate. His secrets and the birth of the twins send her on a journey I was only too happy to follow. I give this read 5 stars and hope to read more from a first time author I enjoyed immensely!
5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Delight!
By 
The Sunny Side of the Mountain was a pure delight to read. It is a novel you want to curl up in your favorite chair on a Saturday afternoon, with a cup of hot chocolate in one hand and Charliann Robert's book in the other. It is tender and sweet with just enough of suspense to keep you wondering what will happen next. This author gave the reader everything they ever would want in a romance/suspense novel. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to walk away with a smile on your face and a warm heart. Congratulations Charliann for a well written book. I for one can't wait for your next novel to be released. Without any hesitation I give this novel a well-deserved 5-star rating


And before we let you get away is there a recipe you'd like to share with us?  I love to cook and I'm always looking for new recipes to try and share with our readers.

Chocolate Coconut Cream Refrigerator Bars
½ C. Butter
¼ C. Sugar
4 T. Cocoa
1 t. Vanilla
1 Egg (beat)
Put all in small pan inside of a big pan of boiling water. Stir until butter melts. Mix until it resembles custard.
Crush 24 graham cracker squares

½ C. Walnuts (crushed)
1 C. Coconut Flakes
Mix together w/other stuff.
-         Put all on greased cookie pan (a cookie sheet with sides)
(hard to spread – push down flat)
-         Put in freezer for 10 minutes
Then spread w/filling:
¼ C. butter (do not melt)
3 T. Milk
2 Egg Yolks (beaten)
2 C. Powdered Sugar
Capful Vanilla
Mix together, then spread over first layer & let stand in freezer for 15 minutes.

Top Part
Melt 6 squares (4 wrapped pieces) of Semi-Sweet Chocolate
3 T. Butter
Pour over filling
 
Put in refrigerator

 Thanks Charliann for joining us today, it was great learning more about you. 
Readers, thanks for stopping by and make sure you visit Amazon right away and get The Sunny Side of the Mountain.


Happy reading,

Krista



3 comments:

  1. I loved reading about Charliann's writing process. It's much like mine. Some books I outline, some I just start writing.

    The Sunny Side of the Mountain looks like a book I need to read. Thanks, Krista, for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I bet your office view gives great inspiration for your novels. Loved your novel, Charliann! Will have to try the chocolate coconut recipe. Look forward to your next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview and review. I loved reading The Sunny side of the Mountain. I'm looking forward to her next book!!!

    ReplyDelete