Thursday, May 9, 2013

Author, author... Guest Kathleen Harrington

...read all about it !!

 
Please welcome a guest post by Kathleen Harrington !!



MY LIFE AS A WRITER

 

People often ask how a writer creates her stories. While the creation of every book is different, I have a fairly predictable map I follow from the first spark of an idea to the completion of a manuscript. Probably the hardest part is deciding the time and setting. When I first consider writing a series, I have to decide where and when my story will take place. There are so many possibilities, it can be daunting.

My past books have been set in the American West, in Regency London, and in the Scottish Highlands. Toward the finish of a book or series, I usually ask myself where I want to go next. At the moment, I don't have to worry. Now that LACHLAN'S BRIDE has been released, I'll be working on the third and final book of the Highland Lairds Trilogy. After that, hmm...I'm not sure.

Once I do decide the setting and time, I get to work. I do a LOT of research. As I read biographies and autobiographies of the time, the pivotal scenes of a plot evolve. The stories of real people are the sparks that light my imagination.

Next it's time to sit down and plot the story. I usually brainstorm first, then sketch out the major events. This is really just a skeleton framework. Things always change or morph as I write the scenes.

After that, I do extensive character sketches of the hero and heroine. I ask myself about their childhood, their relationship with their parents, painful experiences in their youth, and any heartaches or secrets they are hiding from the outside world. I also do character sketches of the more important secondary characters.

And now, the fun part begins. I usually write the story from beginning to end, although I may skip around to get some scenes down on paper before I forget them. My hero and heroine can start talking to each other at any time. When I'm gardening...while I'm walking or driving...even in the shower. As soon as possible, I jot down their conversation on notepaper so it won't slip away.

It's funny, but it often seems as though the story begins to write itself. I just let go and let the hero and heroine take over.
 

Here's an excerpt from LACHLAN'S BRIDE:

*******************************************************

Lachlan drew in a deep breath.

As he'd watched Francine come to grips with the ramifications of their plan, Lachlan realized he'd willingly jumped into the boiling cauldron of male lust with no hope of recourse or reprieve. It'd been his intention, almost from the start, to seduce the exquisite English countess.

Since their kiss in his bedchamber at Collyweston, his need for her had become a persistent, unquenchable ache. Now, because of his vow, a vow he'd been compelled to make in order to ensure her compliance, he would be constantly in her company and unable to act upon his own desires. Being so near and yet never allowed to touch her, to kiss her, to lie beside her ...

Hell and perdition.

In the ensuing battle between honor and lust, he'd probably be the only fatality. Knowing the self-willed, vivacious female as he now did, by the time they reached Edinburgh and he could relinquish his pledge, he'd be stark raving mad.

******************************************************

I'm presently working on the third book of the Highland Lairds Trilogy, with the tentative title of KEIR'S STORY. LACHLAN'S BRIDE, an Avon Impulse, was released on April 30th.
 
 
 
 
 

 
Thank you for inviting me to share my thoughts with your readers. I can be found at the following places:

http://www.kathleenharringtonbooks.com

http://www.facebook.com/kathleenharringtonbooks

 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment